A bCODE is a barcode but without bars.
The bCODE text message is a message that is in part a secure and encrypted unique character string that can be scanned easily at any MediaPlane kiosk or MediaPlane-enabled terminal.
The scannable string takes up 39 characters. The remaining 100-120 characters will carry your company’s brand and header, and useful usage information for your customers.
bCODE’s scanning technology is a result of years of R&D, resulting in optical scanning algorithms that provide high-reliability, high-speed scanning of secure credentials from the screens of mobile phones around the world.
Anyone familiar with a text message will be instantly comfortable with using a bCODE.
The bCODE is Easy-to-use because:
- Your customer only needs to know how to open an SMS text message
- The MediaPlanes are optimized for customer-facing scanning and user experience, unlike many traditional barcode scanners that are designed to be operated by cashier personnel
- On-screen help, tutorial and instructions
The bCODE is Ubiquitous because:
- Works with all phones, all carriers, all countries and languages
- No downloads required
- No data-plans required
- No MMS or WAP subscription required
- Not required to have an iPhone or Android
The bCODE is Secure because:
- Multiple levels of encryption ensure secure and reliable delivery and authentication
- Large number of unique combinations prevents multiple use, re-use or code guessing
- PIN-based second factor authentication for higher-value transactions, and to protect customer from stolen phones
- Cloud-based architecture prevents customers from being compromised at retail locations
The bCODE is Reliable because:
- High level of error correction and data redundancy within the code to allow for scratches on phone screen, lighting objects, ambiguous fonts, dust, smudges or poor message formatting
- Manual keyboard input on touchscreen as backup
- SMS-based technology supports 6 BILLION existing phones
- Cloud-based architecture allows remote monitoring of MediaPlane devices and sophisticated Systems Management Services
The bCODE Compared† to Other Mobile Scanning Technologies:
|bCODE||1D or 2D Graphical Barcodes||RFID / NFC / Contactless Smartcard|
|Message Delivery / Cost||Just an SMS/TXT||Picture Messages / Data-Plans||Physical Chip Distribution|
|Works regardless of phone type, carrier or country||Yes||No||No|
|No software downloads or data-plans required||Yes||No||No|
|Supports SMS, Barcodes and NFC||Yes||No||No|
|Manual code input backup||Yes||No||No|
|Activate Mobile Commerce Service with SMS Shortcode (eg. Text “ABC” to 22633)||Yes||No||No|
|Easy to save and store numerous different Mobile Commerce credentials (Tickets, Coupons, Payment Credentials) on any mobile device||Yes||No||No|
|Approximate Global Device Penetration 2011||99.7%||13%||2%|
† NOTES & DISCLAIMERS: Above comparison based on our assessment of information made publicly available on the web. Device dependency for barcodes based on Smartphone requirement. Device dependency for RFID based on special chipset that needs to be present. Mobile-activation not possible due to device dependency and requirement to ask the consumer what device / device dependency. Storage of numerous tickets based on message size and device memory. For RFID/NFC, storage of numerous types of credentials not yet determined.